Spring Pearl: The Last Flower is a book in the Girls of Many Lands series focusing on Chou Spring Pearl. It was released in 2002 and available with the doll and as a separate purchase. The book was retired with the collection in 2005. Retail cost was $7.95.
Chapter by Chapter Summary
Chapter One: The Lost Garden
Chapter Two: The Rats' Nest
Chapter Three: The Cage
Chapter Four: The Test
Chapter Five: Pins and Needles
Chapter Six: Miss Weed
Chapter Seven: The Power Behind the Throne
Chapter Eight: The Traitor
Chapter Nine: The Collector
Chapter Ten: Hope
Chapter Eleven: Roots
Chapter Twelve: The Return
Chapter Thirteen: The Warriors
Chapter Fourteen: The Flower
Discusses a girl's life in 1857 China. Topics include:
- The Chinese's deep value to their traditions.
- What married and unmarried girls would have worn.
- How people carried money around.
- What jewelry was made out of and Chinese hairstyles.
- Foot binding and the ethnic groups who didn't bind feet.
- The behavior expected from girls and education.
- Canton's adventurous cuisine.
- Where wealthy, and poor, families lived.
- Why the British attacked China in the First Opium War.
- The Second Opium War and how it changed China.
- The 'Golden Mountain', or America.
- Life in China today.
Each Girls of Many Lands book came with a detachable bookmark inside the back cover. This shows a portion of the illustration at the start of the book. Measures 7 3/16" x 2".