- 1 Characters
- 2 Chapter by Chapter Summary
- 2.1 Chapter One: Wedding Preparations
- 2.2 Chapter Two: Bandits!
- 2.3 Chapter Three: Good-Byes
- 2.4 Chapter Four: The Secret Guest
- 2.5 Chapter Five: Bad News
- 2.6 Chapter Six: Alone in a City of Strangers
- 2.7 Chapter Seven: A Desperate Search
- 2.8 Chapter Eight: A Daring Plan
- 2.9 Chapter Nine: The Rescue Mission
- 2.10 Chapter Ten: Unsuspected Obstacles
- 2.11 Then and Now: India
- 3 Trivia
Chapter by Chapter Summary
Chapter One: Wedding Preparations
Chapter Two: Bandits!
Chapter Three: Good-Byes
Chapter Four: The Secret Guest
Chapter Five: Bad News
Chapter Six: Alone in a City of Strangers
Chapter Seven: A Desperate Search
Chapter Eight: A Daring Plan
Chapter Nine: The Rescue Mission
Chapter Ten: Unsuspected Obstacles
Then and Now: India
Discusses a girl's life in India. Topics include:
- Details about how Indian life had continued even though World War Two had recently erupted in Europe.
- The region of Bengal and traditional housing.
- How Hindu marriages were arranged and what a bride was expected to do after the wedding.
- Why Neela would wear a sari and a bindi to the wedding.
- What a wedding 'dowry was made up of and who it was given to.
- How the British arrived in and occupied India and how they lived.
- Freedom fights and protesters.
- What Gandhi believed in and his boycotts.
- How the British handled the protesters.
- India receiving its independence in 1947, and the popular song Vande Mataram.
- Gandhi's influence on Martin Luther King Jr.
- Life in India today.
- Neela: Victory Song is the only one in the Girls of Many Lands series written in third person.
- The book was later released by Penguin Books and offered for sale in India.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.