"Nanea" redirects here. For the doll, see Nanea Mitchell (doll).
Nanea Mitchell is the sixteenth Historical Character, and third initially exclusive to BeForever, representing the 1940s; specifically, the entry of the US into World War II after the Pearl Harbor attack and Hawaii's role in the conflict. She was released in 2017.
Personality and Facts
Nanea Mitchell--her first name is Alice, and she goes by her middle name--lives in Honolulu, Hawaii. Her family is interracial; her mother is Hawaiian and her father is Scottish-American, making her multiracial; she is the youngest of three children. Nanea is very close with her family--especially her father and her mother's parents. Nanea is the youngest of her family and at the start of her stories struggles with being seen as the baby of the family and wanting to appear more mature, in part by her older by Mary Lou often treating her as if she is too young and immature. She can be impulsive and does not think before she acts. She is close enough to her father to confess when she's done something wrong and ask him for his advice; in turn he understands her intentions and desires to help and shows her how to do her best. She shares a room with Mary Lou; the two of them don't always get along but they share the same taste in music. Nanea is very proud of her Hawaiian heritage, with her grandmother she performs hula and studies the history of Hawaii.
Nanea's family has extended relationships beyond blood ties which include her Japanese neighbors, the Suda family. She is best friends with their daughter Lily Suda; with a third friend, Donna Hill, they call themselves the Three Kittens and spend much of their time together when they can. Nanea prides herself on being a star student and one that assists her teacher often; she does well in school and wants to be a teacher. Nanea is very ambitious, often making plans in her mind in order to accomplish her goals--whether realistic or not. She can be very stubborn and selfish at times, getting upset or angry when things don't go her way. She has imaginative and creative ideas, and is very good at thinking on her feet. When she makes mistakes, she works hard in order to make things right.
After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor--which Nanea experiences much of firsthand--Hawaii is placed under martial law, with various precautions such as having to carry gas masks and identification cards, regardless of age. Furthermore, not only are many locations damaged around the city, but suspicions about the Japanese lead to prejudice against Lily's family and Donna's family having to temporarily move to the mainland. These events traumatize Nanea, and she becomes afraid of loud noises and being away from her family in fear they'll be hurt.
Nanea feels she must mature too quickly, and wishes things were like before. Over the course of her stories she becomes closer with those she loves as well as her cultural traditions, and learns to sacrifice personal desires and wants to assist others; she becomes more mature and thoughtful in trying to help her community recover and works hard to cheer up her loved ones and do her part to bring peace back to her island.
She is an avid reader and her favorite books are the Nancy Drew series. She is very talented at her hula dancing, including teaching Mele to dance with her.
Nanea's favorite flavor of shave ice is strawberry.
Family and Friends
- Richard Mitchell: Father.
- May Mitchell: Mother.
- David Mitchell: Older brother.
- Mary Lou Mitchell: Older sister.
- Tutu Kane: Maternal grandfather.
- Tutu: Maternal grandmother.
Friends and Other Characters
- Donna Hill: Best Friend
- Lily Suda: Best Friend.
- Dixie Moreno: A new girl who Nanea initially dislikes, but later befriends.
- Main article: Nanea Mitchell (doll)
- See: Nanea's Collection
- Nanea is the first Native Hawaiian Historical Character to be released; she is the second overall after Kanani Akina.
- Nanea is the second Historical Character after Julie Albright to have a meet outfit that is not either a skirt or dress; this reflects the more casual allowances in day-to-day dress in the Hawaii territory as opposed to Molly McIntire's more conservative Midwestern styles.
- Nanea's series take place chronologically before Molly's, though she was released many years later. Molly's books start in 1943 and take place several years after the US had officially entered World War II and are closer to the end of the war, while Nanea's start in 1941 just before the attack on Pearl Harbor which led directly America's formal entry into World War II (which had been going on officially since war declarations in September 1939).
- For members of the AG Rewards program who had reached Gold or Berry status at the time, a one-time bundle for Nanea, Nanea's AG Rewards Collection, was available for preorder from August 1 to 7th, 2017. This included the Nanea Mitchell doll, Growing Up with Aloha, Hula for the Home Front, Nanea's Accessories, Nanea's Dog, Mele, Nanea's Tropical PJs, Nanea's Hula Outfit, bonus included postcards, and exclusive child- and doll-sized posters of Nanea.
|American Girl Historical Characters|
Caroline Abbott ♦ ★
Nanea Mitchell ♦
Molly McIntire ♦ ★
|★ Archived / ♦ Part of the BeForever Collection|
|BeForever-Revised and Released Historical Characters|
Nanea Mitchell ♥
Molly McIntire ♦ ★
|★ Archived | ♦ Re-released for BeForever | ♥ First Released in BeForever|