- For the modern quick-mystery book, see Mini Mysteries 2.
The stories are again in the style of Encyclopedia Brown stories, with each excerpt now integrating clues. At the end of each story is a riddle--the "mystery"--to solve, with the answer on back pages (and noted in the story on which page) in variant orientations.
Each short mystery takes a sample excerpt from one of the Historical Characters Central Series, Short Stories, or other books. The stories are mixed together in the book, but in the table of contents are separated on the table of contents into either one-minute teasers, three-minute stories, or five-minute puzzlers. Every Historical Character at the time in included in at least one story.
One-Minute Teasers are quickly answered brainteasers or puzzles. Three Minutes Stories are short stories with integrated clues that help answer the question. Five-Minute puzzlers are longer stories with more complex clues and require more work to solve (unlike the prior book, they are not logic puzzles).
- It's All Relative: Addy Walker figures out how Mr. Franklin and Mr. Golden are related after hearing a story. (set during Happy Birthday, Addy!)
- An Eight-Letter Mystery: Kit Kittredge figures out a word for a clue of Ruthie's crossword. (set during Kit Uses Her Head)
- Secret Treats: Tia Dolores figures out which of her nieces (including Josefina Montoya) likes which food as they prepare Three Kings treats. (set during Josefina's Surprise)
- Molly's Bake Sale: Molly McIntire, Susan, and Linda figure out how much money they made during the bake sale. (set during Molly Learns a Lesson)
- Who's That Man?: Samantha Parkington realizes the man in a picture with Grandmary cannot be her grandfather William through clues. (set during Samantha Saves the Day)
- Clues in the Cold: Kaya realizes that Fox Tail has followed her and her twin brothers to see the beavers. (set during Kaya and the Beavers)
- Trouble in Town: Kirsten Larson quickly figures out a man in the general store is a thief. (set during Kirsten Saves the Day)
- The Confusing Cue: Molly explains to Mrs. Campbell why Emily was confused by her instructions. (set during Happy Birthday, Molly!/Brave Emily)
- The Pie Thief: Felicity Merriman determines who has eaten part of a strawberry pie. (set during Felicity Saves the Day)
- What's Growing On?: Kit explains to Mrs. Wolf how she's marked the wrong bouquet as Mother's for the garden show. (set during Kit Saves the Day)
- Dots and Dashes: Samantha sends a letter to Nellie O'Malley with Morse code to figure out the listing of a dinner menu. (set during Samantha's Ocean Liner Adventure)