Mini Dolls are smaller versions of the 18" dolls.
This has been mostly focused on the Historical (and BeForever) Characters as well as Historical Best Friend Characters; there have also been small releases of Girl of the Year, Contemporary Characters, and Truly Me dolls. To date, there has never been a miniature version of any Bitty Baby, Bitty Twins, or WellieWishers dolls; while there have been smaller versions of the Bitty Baby dolls used in other products, there has not been a concentrated line.
Mini dolls are generally available through American Girl directly and many places where American Girl books are sold. Sometimes they are sold in bundles at discount warehouse stores with a full set of character books. Felicity, Kit, Molly, and Samantha were also sold with their movies.
- 1 As an Accessory (1995-2000)
- 2 As a Separate Line (2000-2014)
- 3 BeForever and Historical Mini Dolls (2014-present)
- 4 Girl of the Year and Contemporary Characters Mini Dolls
- 5 Modern Mini Dolls
- 6 Limited Edition Mini Dolls
- 7 Additional Accessories
- 8 References
As an Accessory (1995-2000)
Mini dolls were released in 1995 and originally were advertised as dolls for the American Girl Dolls of Today. The five available at the launch were:
Each came with a mini-pamphlet and abridged, hardback copy of the character's meet book that were not sold elsewhere. Each 6" doll had fixed glass eyes, wigged hair, and came in her meet outfit at a cost of $20. A set of all five was available for $90. Mini dolls, like their larger counterparts, had soft cloth bodies, neck strings and jointed vinyl limbs.
Clothing was fully removable. The Molly mini doll came with small silver plastic glasses, but no other accessories were available for mini dolls, such as miniature meet accessories.
A mini Josefina was available after her release.
As a Separate Line (2000-2014)
With Mattel's purchase, the dolls were modified both in marketing and features. Dolls were advertised as smaller versions of the full sized dolls as well as remaining as dolls for dolls.
Clothing was modified to fit on a smaller, less bulky scale; for example, Kit's sweater and cardigan came as one piece.
Mini dolls for Kit Kittredge, Kaya'aton'my, Julie Albright, Rebecca Rubin, Cécile Rey, Marie-Grace Gardner, and Caroline Abbott were each released at the same time as the main doll was launched. When Felicity Merriman's meet outfit was changed in 2005, the outfit on the mini doll was changed to match.
Around 2005, the buttons on some clothes was replaced with embroidery. Book covers changed to match the full sized versions and remained hardback even when larger hardback books were phased out.
The price on mini dolls eventually rose to $24. Originally, it was possible to purchase all the mini dolls at a discount as each new doll became available, with the group price rising to include the new doll. After Julie was launched, only the Historical Characters were sold as a group at a cost of $183. This was discontinued with the release of Rebecca's mini doll and dolls are now only available to be purchased individually.
BeForever and Historical Mini Dolls (2014-present)
With the launch of BeForever, Mini Dolls were changed to all vinyl with flange joints and all older Mini Dolls were retired. If a character was not part of the BeForever line, the mini doll was not initially rereleased in a new form. Cécile and Marie-Grace's mini dolls were retired entirely. New outfits were released for dolls that changed meet outfits and will fit on older dolls. Costs rose to $25. Dolls are bundled with an abridged copy of the first volume in their Classic Series. Josefina's Mini doll was not initially available. As characters are released, so are their mini dolls, including rereleased characters; however, no mini doll has been made yet of Courtney Moore.
Felicity, Kirsten, and Molly's mini dolls were rereleased with the BeForever modifications in the Classic Meet Outfits and an abridged copy of their one-story meet books for a limited time in 2016. Felicity and Molly were later rereleased in their newer outfits and remain available. Kirsten remains available in her classic meet outfit.
As Part of Courtney's Collection
In 2020 with the release of Courtney Moore, her collection included at launch a mini doll of Molly in Courtney's Pleasant Company Doll, as in her stories Courtney receives the doll for Christmas 1986.
The doll is dressed in Molly's classic outfit, unlike the available Mini Molly Doll; however, it still has the newer traits of modern mini dolls (and the BeForever Style mini Molly) such as an all-vinyl body and painted eyes.
Girl of the Year and Contemporary Characters Mini Dolls
No mini dolls for the Girl of the Year line were made prior to Saige Copeland's release.
Mini dolls for the Girl of the Year line were released on January 1 with the launch of the full-sized doll. Unlike the mini dolls for the Historical Characters/BeForever line, the Girl of the Year mini dolls are generally only available through websites such as Amazon.com or physical stores such as Barnes and Noble or Target; they are not sold through a character's collection or American Girl's online store (though following a Girl of the Year's retirement or during a sale, mini dolls may be sold at a discount on American Girl's online store.) They are also sometimes sold in warehouse bundles with the first two books.
Both Saige Copeland and Isabelle Palmer mini dolls had fabric bodies; starting with Grace Thomas, Girl of the Year mini dolls were given all-vinyl bodies.
In 2016, a second mini doll of Lea Clark in her hiking outfit was released with a unique stand resembling a tropical tree. This was initially only available at stores for $34 and was later sold online at a discount.
No Girl of the Year characters after Luciana have received mini dolls.
|Girl of the Year/Contemporary Character Mini Dolls|
|Saige Copeland||Isabelle Palmer||Grace Thomas||Lea Clark|
|Lea Clark (in Hiking Outfit with stand)||Gabriela McBride||Luciana Vega||Tenney Grant|
Modern Mini Dolls
Starting in 2019, modern mini dolls were released as components to the Smart Girl's Guides Kits. Purchasers can pick a single doll from a selection of six various dolls to come with the kit. Dolls come dressed in a miniature version of the Stay True to the Real You Tee, jean leggings, pink panties, and plastic blue bow flats. They were initially not available to purchase separately from the sets; later, dolls and kits were sold separately online at a discount, and dolls were initially valued at $25 but sold for less.
These dolls are categorized as follows:
- #1: Blond Hair, Blue Eyes, Light Skin (10) (Mini Classic Mold)
- #2: Brown Hair, Brown Eyes, Light Skin (10) (Mini Classic Mold)
- #3: Brown Hair, Brown Eyes, Medium Skin (20) (Mini Josefina Mold)
- #4: Auburn Hair, Blue Eyes, Light Skin (10) (Mini Josefina Mold)
- #5: Dark Brown Hair, Brown Eyes, Light Skin (10) (Mini Classic Mold)
- #6: Dark Brown Hair, Brown Eyes, Dark Skin (30) (Mini Addy Mold)
All of them were retired with the retirement of the Smart Girl's Guides Kits.
Limited Edition Mini Dolls
25th Anniversary Limited Edition Historical Mini Dolls
For the 25th anniversary in 2011, American Girl released a collectible Mini Doll line. One doll was released each month, along with the Mini Doll Display Shelf. Retail cost of the shelf is $48. It was advertised as having a place to put the "name stickers" that came with each of the holiday dolls. Each doll was dressed in their holiday outfit and came with an abridged copy of their Holiday books. Retail cost of each doll was $22. The dolls were retired at the end of 2011, but the shelf remained available until it was retired in 2014.
- January: Samantha Parkington in the Cranberry Party Dress with Samantha's Surprise
- February: Felicity Merriman in the Christmas Gown and Stomacher with Felicity's Surprise
- March: Kirsten Larson in the Winter Skirt and Blouse with Kirsten's Surprise
- April: Addy Walker in the Tartan Plaid Dress with Addy's Surprise
- May: Molly McIntire in the Evergreen Velvet Dress with Molly's Surprise
- June: Josefina Montoya in the Christmas Dress and Mantilla with Josefina's Surprise
- July: Kaya'aton'my in the Adorned Deerskin Dress with Kaya's Hero
- August: Kit Kittredge in the Christmas Outfit with Kit's Surprise
- September: Julie Albright in Julie's Christmas Outfit with Happy New Year, Julie! and Rebecca Rubin in Rebecca's Hanukkah Dress with Candlelight for Rebecca
- October: Cécile Rey in Cécile's Special Dress with Meet Cécile and Marie-Grace Gardner in Marie-Grace's Party Outfit with Meet Marie-Grace
|Visual Gallery of the 25th Anniversary Mini Dolls|
|Samantha Parkington||Felicity Merriman||Kirsten Larson||Addy Walker|
|Molly McIntire||Josefina Montoya||Kaya'aton'my||Kit Kittredge|
|Julie Albright||Rebecca Rubin||Cécile Rey||Marie-Grace Gardner|
30th Anniversary Limited Edition Historical Mini Dolls
In 2016 for the 30th anniversary, American Girl again released several Special Edition Mini Dolls of the BeForever characters. The mini dolls are dressed in alternate outfits that had not been released before. Caroline and Melody are the exceptions as Caroline was archived and Melody had not yet formally debuted at the time of the release. The 2016 Special Edition mini dolls came with abridged copies of their My Journey Books, a unique stand that poses the doll in a walking style (similar to the poses on the older meet books). Each cost $28.
The Special Edition mini dolls are dressed in the following outfits:
- Kaya'aton'my in the Adorned Deerskin Dress with The Roar of the Falls: My Journey with Kaya
- Josefina Montoya in the Feast Day Finery with Song of the Mockingbird: My Journey with Josefina
- Addy Walker in Addy's Sunday Best with A New Beginning: My Journey with Addy
- Samantha Parkington in Samantha's Special Day Dress with The Lilac Tunnel: My Journey with Samantha
- Rebecca Rubin in Rebecca's Holiday Outfit with The Glow of the Spotlight: My Journey with Rebecca
- Kit Kittredge in Kit's Reporter Dress with Full Speed Ahead: My Journey with Kit
- Maryellen Larkin in Maryellen's Birthday Dress with The Sky's the Limit: My Journey with Maryellen
- Julie Albright in Julie's Mix-Print Maxi Dress with A Brighter Tomorrow: My Journey with Julie
|Visual Gallery of the 2016 Special Edition Mini Dolls|
|Kaya'aton'my||Josefina Montoya||Addy Walker||Samantha Parkington|
|Rebecca Rubin||Kit Kittredge||Maryellen Larkin||Julie Albright|
- The only exception was the 2009 and 2015 releases of the Doll School kit, which came with a mini Meet Rebecca paperback book.
- Ivy was not released with a mini doll at the same time her collection was released and did not get her own mini doll until 2011, four years after she was introduced in 2007.
- Saige Copeland's mini-doll was made available in July 2013 with the release of her movie Saige Paints the Sky; Gabriella's Mini-doll was delayed by several months.
- In the case of Saige, her only two books.
- Kirsten is the exception, as she is wearing her Winter Skirt and Blouse rather than her Saint Lucia Gown.
- Cécile and Marie-Grace are the exceptions as they come with abridged copies of their Meet books.
- Kaya was not given a new outfit and was once again given her Adorned Deerskin Dress.