- "Melody" redirects here. For the doll, see Melody Ellison (doll). For the illustrator of the Addy Walker Central Series, see Melodye Rosales.
Personality and Facts
Melody (nicknamed Dee-Dee by her family) is nine at the start of the series and turns ten on January first, 1964. Her whole family is involved in music in some way, and are good singers. However, her parents believe that education and college will be a bigger boost up than music, especially her father. Her grandmother calls her "baby chick" (as she calls all her grandchildren chicks) and her father calls her "Little One."
Melody, along with singing, likes gardening; she feels calm and peaceful when working in the dirt. She does not always feel like a leader, even when her actions show her otherwise. She gets nervous singing in front of a crowd or performing. Melody loves "The Motown Sound" and the multiple acts coming from Hitsville, USA such as the Supremes, Marvin Gaye, little Stevie Wonder, and Martha and the Vandellas.
Family and Friends
- See Also: Minor Characters in Melody's Series
- Will Ellison: Melody's father.
- Frances Ellison: Melody's mother.
- Yvonne Ellison: Melody's oldest sister
- Dwayne Ellison: Melody's older brother.
- Lila Ellison: Melody's older sister.
- Geneva Porter: Melody's grandmother.
- Frank Porter: Melody's grandfather.
- Tish Porter: Melody's older cousin. 
- Charles Porter: Melody's older cousin. 
- Valerie Porter: Melody's cousin and best friend. 
- Bo: The Ellisons' family dog.
Friends and Other Characters
Main Article: Melody Ellison (doll)
- Face Mold: Sonali Mold
- Skin: Dark
- Hair: Dark Brown, straight, bangs, flipped at the ends
- Eyes: Brown
- See: Melody's Collection
- As of 2020, Melody is the only character in any product line from American Girl to have a book--in her case, all her books--released before any items in the collection were available.
- As an incentive for early adopters of the AG Rewards program, a one-time bundle for Melody, Melody's AG Rewards Collection, was available from August 1 to 8th, 2016; this included the doll and first book No Ordinary Sound, meet accessories, Melody's Dog, Bo, Melody's Fancy Floral Dress, and Melody's Hairstyling Set.
- Music in My Heart: My Journey with Melody pg 157, "Melody!" Big Momma cries[.] "Melody Elizabeth Ellison!"
- Never Stop Singing, sneak preview on AG: At the conclusion of the song, to Melody’s surprise and delight, the church bells sounded, drowning out the final piano notes. It was midnight! It was 1964!
“Happy New Year!” Pastor Daniels shouted.
“Happy Birthday, Melody!” Val shouted, too, squeezing Melody in a hug. But in the din of bells and cheers and applause, only Melody heard.
- Never Stop Singing, sneak preview on AG: “That’s right!” Lila slapped the table with her hand. “Dee-Dee is officially ten years old!”
- The Lady's Slipper starts in May 1965.
- ''No Ordinary Sound, pg 4; Melody's mother laughed. "Will, you always did think my mother was the best cook in the world." "Well she is, Frances!" Mr. Ellison said[.]
- While specifically, Cousin Tish and Cousin Charles are first cousins once removed to Melody and Valerie is her second cousin--Melody's grandfather is Tish and Charles's uncle and Valerie's great-uncle--Black communities rarely use specific terms such as "first" or "second" cousin, and simply refer to all cousins as such without degrees. Thus, "Cousin" for Tish and Charles is a reference title, much like "aunt" would be.
|American Girl Historical Characters|
Caroline Abbott ♦ ★
Molly McIntire ♦ ★
Melody Ellison ♦
|★ Archived / ♦ Part of the BeForever Collection|
|BeForever-Revised and Released Historical Characters|
Molly McIntire ♦ ★
Melody Ellison ♥
|★ Archived | ♦ Re-released for BeForever | ♥ First Released in BeForever|