Kit Kittredge: An American Girl (originally called Kit Kittredge: An American Girl Mystery) is an American Girl Movie based on the character Kit Kittredge and her stories. It is the first and currently only American Girl movie that was released theatrically.
- Abigail Breslin as Margaret Mildred 'Kit' Kittredge
- Julia Ormond as Margaret Kittredge
- Chris O'Donnell as Jack Kittredge
- Jane Krakowski as Miss May Dooley
- Wallace Shawn as Mr. Gibson
- Max Thieriot as Will Shepherd
- Willow Smith as Countee Garby
- Glenne Headly as Louise Howard
- Zach Mills as Stirling Howard
- Kenneth Welsh as Uncle Hendrick
- Madison Davenport as Ruthie Smithens
- Joan Cusack as Miss Lucinda Bond
- Dylan Smith as Frederich
- Stanley Tucci as Jefferson Jasper Berk
- Douglas Nyback as William 'Billy' Peabody
- Dylan Roberts as Reporter
- Martin Doyle as Teacher
- Colin Mochrie as Mr. Pennington
- Martin Roach as Hobo Doctor
- Austin Macdonald as Roger
- Brieanne Jansen as Frances Stone
- Erin Hilgartner as Florence Stone
- Peter MacNeill as Sheriff
- Erin McMurtry as Garden Club Lady #1
- Joanna Swan as Garden Club Lady #2
- Eddie Max Huband as Blonde Bully
- Frank McAnulty as Wallet Man
- Anna Louise Richardson as Soup Kitchen Woman
- David Talbot as Neighbor
- Darryn Lucio as Deputy
- John Healy as Mr. Stone
- Colette Kendall as Mrs. Stone
- Quincy Bullen as Newsboy
- Elisabeth Perez as Classmate #1
- Jordan Rackley as Classmate #2
- Eddie Graff as Sax-Playing Hobo
- Directed by: Patricia Rozema
- Writing credits: Ann Peacock (Movie Script), Valerie Tripp (Kit Kittredge stories)
Books Included in the Film
Unlike the other historical character movies, the major plot of Kit's movie is a unique storyline; however, many elements are pulled from Kit's Central Series.
Movie and Book Differences
- Kit's father leaves town to look for work early in the movie and is not present for a lot of the film.
- Will was a minor character and in the Central series, is only confined to Kit Saves the Day (and later seen in a mystery). In the movie he is a major character, and interactions with him and the hobos are made one of the the main focus of the story. Furthermore rather than traveling alone, he is given a sidekick with whom he travels, Countee.
- Stirling's appearance is different; the actor playing him has brown hair. His name is also stated to be Stirling Howard IV, implying that his father's name is also Sterling.
- Charles Kittredge and Aunt Millie are not cast; however, both of them are mentioned in passing.
- As Aunt Millie is not a character, Margaret takes on many of the ideas and tasks that were hers; she sews the feedsack dress for Kit, takes on odd jobs, and decides they should raise chickens and sell eggs; in the books, she finds many of these ideas lower-class.
Errors and Inaccuracies
The movie was officially released in movie theaters nationwide on July 2, 2008.
The movie was released on DVD and Blu-ray on October 28, 2008.
A deluxe DVD edition of the movie was released on September 6, 2011, to celebrate American Girl's 25th anniversary. Retail cost was $14.95. American Girl retired it in 2020.
- American Girl Movie Trailer Gallery
- DVD-ROM PC Enhanced Features
- English and Spanish subtitles
The deluxe DVD edition presented the movie in widescreen format and contained the following extras:
- Making-of Featurette
- Becoming an American Girl: Casting
- All About Kit, an American Girl
- English subtitles
Items Associated with the Movie
These are some of the items that were sold specifically in the Kit Movie Shop on the American Girl website and seen in the movie
- Kit's Classic Meet Outfit and accessories
- Ruthie's Meet Outfit and accessories
- Kit's Striped Nightie
- Typewriter Set
- Aviator Doll
- Overalls Outfit
- Kit's Work Boots
- Rolltop Desk and Swivel Chair
- Kit's Bed and Quilt Set
- Kit's Bedtime Extras
- Kit's Dresser Trunk
- Kit's Floral-Print Dress
- Kit's Tree House
- Kit's Homemade Scooter