- Kit Kittredge
- Jack Kittredge
- Margaret Kittredge
- Charles Kittredge
- Hendrick Frosbythe
- Stirling Howard
- Ruthie Smithens
- Miss Hart
- Miss Finney
Chapter by Chapter Summary
Chapter One: Rickrack
Chapter Two: The Bright Red Dress
Chapter Three: The Wicked Ogre
Chapter Four: Jewels
Looking Back: Christmas in 1934
Discusses the Christmas season during the Great Depression. Topics covered:
- Ways Americans found to celebrate Christmas during the Depression, despite the financial situations they faced and struggled with.
- Stories of families who were able to find Christmas trees, and the inexpensive ways they decorated their trees without the luxury of electric lights.
- The changes in Christmas wishes children gave to department store Santa Clauses, with many asking for their fathers to receive new jobs.
- Christmas gifts children from wealthier families might have received, and the toys that were popular amongst children during the 1930s.
- The gifts children might have received from their parents, including homemade toys and old toys that were either repaired or repainted.
- Requests various charities, churches, and public utilities received from families who were in need.
- The charities and citizens who worked hard to spread Christmas cheer to the unemployed and the needy in their communities.
Items associated with Kit's Surprise
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.