Changes from The Journey Begins
- Chapter One, Let's Race! is split into two chapters:
- "Let's Race" contains the opening and ends just before Kaya goes to race Fox Tails.
- "The Stick People" contains Kaya's race with Fox Tails.
- Chapter Two, Switchings! and part of Chapter Three, Courtship Dance are split across multiple chapters with sections removed:
- Switched! contains the group punishment for the children and Kaya's nickname given.
- Nicknames is Kaya talking about nicknames with Aalah.
- Riding with Toe-ta contains Kaya riding with her father and the second half of "Courtship Dance" with Speaking Rain falling into the river.
- The first half of "Courtship Dance," where Brown Deer chooses Cut Cheek as her partner, is removed.
- The last part of Chapter Four, Rescued from the River, removes everything after Kaya wondering if she will someday receive a vision.
- Chapter Five, Taken Captive! and Chapter Six, Slaves of the Enemy are split across multiple chapters with sections removed:
- "Salmon River Country" contains Kaya and others gathering huckleberries for winter. Furthermore, the first part of the chapter, where Kaya stretches and then takes a few berries, is omitted.
- "A Raid in the Night" contains the attack by the raiders and Kaya and Speaking Rain's capture, and removes Kaya's worries about her father and others returning to find them gone.
- "Taken Captive" picks up with Kaya squeezing Speaking Rain's hand, and concludes at Kaya's first sight of Two Hawks.
- "Otter Woman" contains the first part of Kaya's enslavement with the raiders, and ends with her lamentations about Steps High; the paragraphs of the man abusing Steps High and Kaya observing it are removed.
- "Two Hawks" contains Kaya meeting Two Hawks and the two of them planning escape.
- Chapter Seven, Escape! is split across multiple chapters:
- "Escape!" contains Kaya and Two Hawks escaping into the night and finding rest.
- "Danger" picks up the next morning, ending with the cougar attack.
- Chapter Eight, On the Buffalo Trail, is split across multiple chapters:
- "Working Together" picks up where the last chapter ended, and ends with Kaya building the cairn with her magpie feather.
- "Following Signs" covers Kaya and Two Hawks climbing higher, his injury, and the end of Kaya's Escape when her father finds them.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.