- Josefina Montoya
- Felipe Romero
- Dolores Romero
- Ana Montoya
- Francisca Montoya
- Clara Montoya
- Andres Montoya
Meet The Author
Looking Back: Women's Rights in 1824
Discusses a woman's legal rights in New Mexico. Topics include:
- The many responsibilities that New Mexican women had in the early 1800s.
- How contrasted an American woman's rights were to a New Mexican woman's, which were deeply rooted in Spanish traditions.
- The legal rights and actions women would take, including the allowance to sue her husband.
- Dona Tules, a brave woman who ran her own gambling house and became an adviser to both Spanish and American soldiers.
- How trading with the American changed how New Mexican women dressed, and the eventual loss of their legal rights in 1848.
Activity: Make Empanaditas
Learn how to make an apple empanadita.
Glossary of Spanish Words
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.