- "Julie" redirects here. For the doll, see Julie Albright (doll).
Personality and Facts
Julie is a fun-loving, happy, spirited girl, full of energy and new ideas but prone to fits of despair at the upheaval of the world around her. She finds it a duty to stand up against the prejudices of the past, as opposed to Ivy, with whom she sometimes fights because Ivy is more concerned with keeping life the way it is and not getting into trouble. This is at least partially because she herself is affected by these prejudices, tormented by the class rumor mill for being a tomboy, an athlete, and a child of divorce, but she also feels for the other people who may be affected. Her dad is a pilot and, because of his job, often doesn't see Julie. Though Julie has to deal with all of the above, she faces it more courageously and optimistically than her sister Tracy, who whines and goes into denial about the divorce, refuses to speak with her father, and says she'll never be normal again. This is something that Julie has in common with her mother, who left her life as a housewife to become an entrepreneur; it is implied in Meet Julie both in the main story and Looking Back sections that Joyce and Daniel divorced because he disagreed with her independence and decision to enter the workforce, and he expresses similar disapproval of Julie's wish to play basketball in the boys' league, even though he taught her how to play.
Though Julie initially finds the changes bothersome, she tries to make the best of her situation, and courageously makes some of her own changes.
Julie can be thin-skinned. This was most evident in Julie's Journey, when she was angry for some time at her cousin for laughing at her poor horse experience.
Julie is interested in artistic things—making things or decorating. She is shown to be very crafty and creative. She helped her mom decorate her own room in Meet Julie, and Julie also made a tennis racket cover for Tracy for Christmas. Julie is also very determined, often surprising her friends when she seems to be giving up. Usually once Julie sets her mind on a project, she wants to follow through on completing it. She is often involved in new projects, whether it is for the community, for school, or the environment. Julie likes to read, showing interest in the Little House on the Prairie series and Nancy Drew. She likes writing in her journal as a pastime. She shows interest in becoming President of the United States, as shown at the end of Changes for Julie. She likes reading her horoscope; her sun sign is Taurus.
She has three nicknames in her series: "Alley Oop" came from her best friend Ivy; her basketball teammates call her "Cool Hands Albright" because she's swift with basketball passes; and her older sister Tracy calls her "Jules."
Julie's favorite song is "Julia" by The Beatles, especially when her father sings it to her. Her favorite food is chocolate fondue.
Her favorite colors are purple and yellow.
American Girl characterizes her as "creative," "fun," "spirited, "athletic", "groovy," "strong," and (previously) "upbeat."
She's given the personal quotes in Beforever:
- "I'm bright and sunny on the outside. But on the inside, I'm a real fighter."
- "My friends call me a True Champion. I'll take a stand when life doesn't play fair."
- "Now is my time to stand up and fight for what's right."
- "I try to make everywhere I go a little brighter."
- "I keep every day colorful by looking on the bright side."
Family and Friends
- Daniel Albright: Julie's father, Dad
- Joyce Albright: Julie's mother, Mom
- Tracy Albright: Julie's older sister
- Uncle Buddy: Julie's uncle
- Aunt Catherine: Julie's aunt
- Jimmy: Julie's cousin
- April: Julie's cousin
- Maia Albright: Julie's paternal aunt
- Grandma: Julie's maternal grandmother
- Grandpa: Julie's maternal grandfather
Friends and other Minor Characters
- Ivy Ling: Julie’s best friend
- T. J.: Julie’s classmate and friend
- Coach Manley: The basketball coach at Julie's school
- The Water Fountain Girls: A clique of three girls: Allison, Amanda, and Angela
- Joy Jenner: A deaf classmate and friend of Julie's
- Joseph Sanchez: The principal of Jack London Elementary School
- Julie Saves the Eagles: PC computer game
- Julie Finds a Way: Nintendo DS game
- And the Tiara Goes To...: Short film
- Ivy and Julie 1976: A Happy Balance
- Main article: Julie Albright (doll)
- Face Mold: Josefina Mold
- Skin: Light
- Hair: Pale blonde, straight (comes with side braid)
- Eyes: Brown
- See: Julie's Collection
- Julie was the first and currently the only Historical Character to be simultaneously released with her Best Friend, Ivy Ling.
- Julie is the first Historical and Beforever Character to wear pants with her Meet Outfit, as fitting the change in attitudes about clothing for women. She was later followed by Nanea Mitchell.
- A movie musical for Julie was planned in 2007, and confirmed in December 2009 by the New York Times, but never went past the proposal stage.
- Julie is the first and currently only Historical Character to be released with divorced parents.
- Julie's house is located on the corner of two streets called Redbud and Frederick.
- While Julie's series and collection are tagged officially as the year 1974 by American Girl, her first book takes place in fall of 1975; no events in her series take place in 1974. In this Julie can be seen as the first Historical Character to break the year ending in -4 pattern.
- ↑ American Girl, see discussion page.
- ↑ Julie and the Eagles: her birthday party invitation lists May 1, 1976 as her 10th birthday party.
- ↑ Meet Julie is set in September, 1975; it's mentioned in Happy New Year, Julie! that Julie and Ivy celebrate the Year of the Dragon in 1976 for Chinese New Year.
- ↑ Message in a Bottle is set in Late Summer 1977
- ↑ While Molly McIntire and Kit Kittredge have pants outfits, these are not considered appropriate casual wear for them as it is with Julie.
- ↑ http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/459275/Julie-An-American-Girl-Musical/overview (no longer available)
- ↑ A Brighter Tomorrow: My Journey with Julie, pg. 13: ...I look up at our apartment building. It's...the same building on the corner of Redbud and Frederick[...].
|* Archived / ** Exclusive to BeForever|
|BeForever Historical Characters|
|* Archived | ** ReReleased for BeForever|