Meet the Author
Looking Back: Sheep in 1824
Discusses sheep-herding in New Mexico. Topics include:
- Why sheep were considered so valuable to ranchos
- When the first churros arrived in New Mexico.
- Where a rancho's shepherd would take the herd of sheep during the summer, and where they would set up camp.
- How dogs protected sheep from nomadic Indian tribes and wild animals, and the only weapon a shepherd would have had.
- The dangers sheep faced during bad weather, and when the sheep were finally returned to their rancho.
- How sheep were sheared during the spring, and how the whole sheepherding process would eventually repeat itself again.
Activity: Weave a Carpet Rug
Learn how to weave a mini-rug.
Glossary of Spanish Words
The book contains a glossary of the Spanish words used in the text.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.