The first magazine was sent out for free with orders for the 2005 Holiday season, along with cards offering a free subscription to the magazine. The magazine was released with a set pattern of Spring, Summer, and Winter Issues.
The magazine was discontinued unexpectedly after the last issue. Subscribers were sent postcards explaining that the magazine would be discontinued.
Possible reasons for discontinuation were high costs of production and distribution for a no-cost magazine or that it was a test magazine that did not do well with the targeted customers.
A letter to the readers, as well as a note for locating Coconut in the magazine.
User-submitted photographs of girls and their dolls.
Play scenarios and craft ideas with dolls. Sometimes included a hairstyle.
A one or two page activity that varied per issue:
- A New Name: Names and their meanings, including the Historical Characters.
- Best Buds: The symbolic meanings of flowers (quiz).
- Fun in the Sun: Tips on doll photography.
- Glitter It!: Crafting glittery doll ornaments.
- Out and About: Ideas for going out with dolls.
- Travel Tips: Tips for traveling with a doll.
- Find It!: Visual scavenger hunt.
Themed crafts for dolls.
Activities involving the Historical Characters.
Black and white images to design clothes on.
A Peek Behind the Scenes
Brief interview with an American Girl employee.
Cut it Out!
Activity page with cutouts.
Before and after stories of dolls sent to the American Girl Hospital.
A picture of posed dolls by an adult collector with a scenario.
- American Girl Magazine, a full distribution magazine that ran from 1995 until 2019.