- 1 Characters
- 2 Chapter by Chapter Summary
- 3 Book Covers
- 4 Items associated with Happy Birthday, Kit!
- Kit Kittredge
- Margaret Kittredge
- Jack Kittredge
- Charlie Kittredge
- Stirling Howard
- Louise Howard
- Ruthie Smithens
- Millie Morrison
- Mr. and Mrs. Bell
- Mr. Peck
- Miss Hart
- Miss Finney
- Mr. Fisher
Looking Back: Growing Up in 1934
Discusses childhood during the Great Depression. Topics covered:
- How childbirth was handled at homes and hospitals, and options parents were offered if they could not pay for the delivery.
- Consequences the Great Depression had on family planning, resulting with families having fewer children and fewer marriages for young couples.
- Men who abandoned their families due to work that took them far from home, shame, or to allow their families to receive help from the government.
- The duties children might have undertaken to support their families, with girls tackling household chores while boys worked odd jobs.
- Ways people found to save money for household needs, such as planting vegetable gardens in their backyards.
- Rural families that fared better during the Great Depression compared to urban families, mainly because they could grow more of their own food.
- Ways people recycled durable goods during the Depression, such as re-using old clothing or using feed sacks to make new clothes.
- Consequences the Great Depression had on human health due to hunger and malnutrition, and the rising threat of polio during the 1930s.
- The policies and programs President Roosevelt implemented to help bring America out of the Great Depression.
- How people entertained themselves without spending money, such as visiting libraries or listening to President Roosevelt's fireside chats on the radio.