- Felicity Merriman
- Edward Merriman
- Martha Merriman
- Nan Merriman
- William Merriman
- Benjamin Davidson
Chapter by Chapter Summary
Chapter One: King's Creek Plantation
Chapter Two: Faithful Friends
Chapter Three: The Note in the Bird Bottle
Chapter Four: Runaway
Chapter Five: Penny Saves the Day
Looking Back: America Outdoors in 1774
Discusses how people spent time outdoors during colonial times. Topics include:
- The sizzling heat of Virginia during the summer.
- How colonists kept themselves cool, from using fans to using blinds.
- What clothing girls wore to keep cool.
- Gardening and the many uses of herbs.
- Slaves on plantations and how they lived.
- How some slaves were able to get their freedom.