Hi, and welcome to the American Girl Wiki! Like any wiki, it grows and thrives on contributions from others. So don't be afraid to jump right in and get started!
--Nethilia 19:15, 14 July 2008 (UTC)
Dunno where else to stick this, but you've probably noticed that rather than individual pages for each item, I've been grouping them into "collections" pages. And I was wondering if we shouldn't do something like that for minor characters, rather than having a bunch of short pages with very little information on them. Noise:signal ratio is just what I'm trying to think of. That and there really isn't much you can say objectively about outfits besides describing each piece and sticking in the photo (I'd like to have scans of the old catalogues for the collection pages, while I'm thinking on it) and then maybe describing the parts of the pieces. And maybe adding in the official catalogue description.
That said, how do templates work, and is it possible to set one up for the collections so that I don't have to do as much typing? Or do templates not work that way? Bah. At least my skillz have improved slightly beyond inserting redirects. ;)
(Also, should the Meet Outfits be 'Meet Collection' instead? I'm never sure, because they were never labeled as a collection in the old catalogue, but they kind of are. Yanno, doll, outfit, accessories.)
PS: There's a shout box widget you can add! Keristars 06:11, 19 July 2008 (UTC)
- Yeah, we can talk here now until we decide that we want a forum or what have you.
- I think that, while the clothes and collections can be all lumped together, that the characters--even minors ones--should all have their own pages so that they can each mention the books they are in and no others. Even the minor ones. As long as they have name (no pages on "Random Kid Six", for example.) I sort of showed what I was doing with minors using Master Stevens as an example.
- I haven't really touched templates, yet.
- And where's the shoutbox? Nethilia 18:09, 19 July 2008 (UTC)
- The Shout Box is in the widgets in the sidebar. I think there's something at the top of the page where you can edit your sidebar and add it in? It's pretty snazzy, I guess. :P
- One thing I noticed as I was using the AGPT guides for my reference is that Meg & Jo organized some of Kaya's and Julie's things differently than I would. Like, Nutmeg is listed under her Meet book, when I would put it under her birthday book, because it's her pet. Likewise with Tatlo for Kaya, only they put him under the second book. So I'm totally disregarding their categorization where it doesn't match the traditional Collection pages in the catalogues. I mean, dude, Kaya's furs under her second book? They need to go with her Winter Collection.
- Or, uhm, silly AG for screwing with my compartments! ;)
- Speaking of, I prefer 'discontinued' to 'retired.' Know anything about what the official term is that AG uses, and which word will be our official one? I don't know why, but 'retired' just always sounds like it's wishy-washy and vague to me. Or something.
- Keristars 19:29, 22 July 2008 (UTC)
- The organization sounds great! I'd group it like it was traditionally. Tatlo doesn't even show up unti the 4th books, anyways. Nethilia 23:05, 22 July 2008 (UTC)