- 1 Addy Doll
- 2 Meet Outfit
- 3 Meet Accessories
- 4 Dress Like Your Doll
- 5 Dress Like Your Doll: BeForever
- 6 Pre-Mattel Differences
- 7 Trivia
- Her hair (Classic) was originally styled in a single tucked up braid. The Beforever Style comes in two braids crossed over and tucked up.
- Eyes: Dark Brown
- Initially released with straight brows, the BeForever update gave her feathered ones.
- Other: Addy has permanent gold loop earrings in each ear.
Addy's First Edition Meet Outfit was significant to the stories because it is the first clothing she received after running to freedom. It is a gift from Miss Caroline and was a sample of the clothing style of the day for young girls.
After the launch of BeForever, the set was sold (minus hair accessories) as Addy's Classic Outfit for $36.
Double pink (or cinnamon pink) day dress. Fabric has fine white wavy lines and dots in vertical "stripes". Dropped shoulders. Straight sleeves. Rounded collar. Translucent white buttons down the front of the dress. Skirt hem comes to about mid-calf, the length appropriate for a girl of about eight to ten years of age during her time period. Velcros up the back and around the wrists.
Black knit stockings that reach to the knees. Elastic tops.
Black lace-up boots with black grommets and a cap-toe style. Black shoe laces. Stiff black soles. At some point the shoes were given lighter tan soles and the grommets were replaced with embroidered eyelets.
White cotton "drawers" trimmed with lace; elastic waistband in the back.
A 1/4" wide navy blue satin hair ribbon.
The BeForever Outfit for Addy was available alone for $36. It was released in 2014 and retired as a separately available purchase in 2018. It is also was significant to the stories as it is now the first clothing Addy received after running to freedom.
Deep blue short bell-sleeved calico style dress. Abstract print of flowers, leaves, and vines in darker blues and white dots. Boat neck collar, slightly gathered. Slight dropped shoulders. Wide black grosgrain bows with V-cut ends attached to shoulder seams. Attached waistband is loose over waist seam and attached at side seams. Black grosgrain thin ribbon trim on boatneck collar, sleeve hems, around waistband, and skirt. Velcros up the back.
White knee-length pantalettes. Flower eyelet lace with scalloped edges at bottom hem. Elastic waistband.
White knee stockings.
Black canvas button-side style boots. Curved upper edge and separate toe seam. Four black non-functional buttons on curved outer side. Brown soles with moderate heel. White inner lining. Velcro up the back.
Two blue hair ribbons. These are not included in the outfit when it is sold alone.
Straw hat with a blue calico print ribbon. The ribbon is sewn around the bottom edge as trim and the tying ribbon is tacked near the front. The right ribbon is shorter than the left as the ribbon is to be tied on the right side of her face.
Addy's "purse", a large square beige printed kerchief that is knotted up to hold Addy's things.
Water gourd. In the 1990s, the water gourd was made of an actual gourd and came with a cork stopper; after a crop failure, it was changed to plastic and no longer has a cork stopper.
Cowrie Shell Necklace
A cowrie shell tied to a black cord; adjustable by two knots that slide up and down on the cords. Was a real cowrie shell on a length of leather cord originally but at some point was changed to a plastic replica of a shell on a woven cord. This necklace has significant meaning for Addy in the stories as it's the cowrie shell her great grandmother brought from Africa, hanging on Sam's shoe lace.
Straw bonnet hat with a black gingham satin tying ribbon. Black bias cotton trim on front and bottom edge. Black tying ribbon is tacked near the front. The ribbon is shorter on the left side, but the ribbon is displayed by the company tied with the bow on the left or right side of doll's face.
Patchwork style tote bag. Outer print and handles of faux crazy quilt patchwork style fabric with yellow mock-zigzag stitching; inner lining of meet dress fabric. Yellow top stitching on edge and handles.
Cowrie Shell Necklace
The only change from the prior cowrie shell necklace is a thinner cord; it is still adjustable.
A child-sized outfit was sold:
- Striped Pink Dress (also known as the Cinnamon Pink Dress): $75
- Addy's Cowrie Necklace (also known as the Cowrie Necklace): $20.
- Crinoline Petticoat: $20
- Lace Up Shoes: $??
These were phased out around the year 2000.
A dress inspired by Addy's BeForever Meet Outfit, the Ribbon Trim Sundress, was available for $42.
- Pre-Mattel Addy dolls have thicker hair.
- Mattel Addy dolls have slightly lighter, more red skin tones.
- The prototype of Addy's original meet dress occasionally appears for secondary-market purchase. It has the same cut as the released one, but has a small cream flower and dot print and a slightly darker, more mauve color.
- Early Addy dolls have clothing tagged as made in West Germany.
- The first production wave of Addy dolls came with boots without grommets. Dolls sold after the first wave, even in late 1993, came with grommets on their boots.
- First edition Addy dolls have gray eyebrows and brown eyelashes.
- Addy's hair became slightly less textured around 1995.